1. What events may cause a resident to be transferred to skilled Care?

  2. What events may cause permanent discharge of a resident?

  3. What items should I bring?

  4. Can I leave the facility?

  5. What is an ombudsman?

  6. When should an ombudsman be called?

  7. Who do I contact if I have a grievance?



Q. What events may cause a resident to be transferred to skilled care?

A. The following could cause temporary transfer to skilled care:

      • Drug stabilization
      • Medical condition requiring 24 hour nursing care
      • Resident requires services the facility does not provide
      • Unable to maintain personal hygiene
      • Unacceptable physical or verbal behavior


Q. What events may cause permanent discharge of a resident?

A. The following could cause permanent discharge:

  • 24 hour nursing care
  • Assistance in transferring to and from wheelchair
  • Behavior management for verbal aggression
  • Behavior management for physical aggression
  • Bladder or Bowel incontinence care
  • Feeding by staff
  • Intravenous therapy
  • Medication injections
  • Oxygen administration
  • Special diet needs

When required, the Assisted Living Manager along with consultation from the Executive Director will determine whether or not discharge of a resident is necessary.  In the event that discharge is required, families will be fully informed and consulted.  They will receive assistance in making discharge plans.  

It is the policy of the Golden Age Assisted Living to refund the balance of an account after discharge of a resident, if all bills owed to Golden Age Assisted Living have been deducted.


Q. What items should I bring?

A. The rooms in the facility are not furnished. We encourage residents to bring as many items from home as possible to help the room feel familiar. You are encouraged to decorate your room to give it personality and make it home. The following are a few suggested items to bring and guidelines to follow when setting up your new home.

      • Twin or full size bed
      • Recliner/chair
      • Dresser
      • Desk
      • Television (cable TV provided)
      • Mini refrigerator
      • Small microwave
      • Linens
      • Shower caddy & robe
      • Laundry basket, laundry detergent, hangers
      • Be aware that when you hang curtains, Golden Age Assisted Living is required to treat them with a clear, odorless liquid which helps make them fire retardant.  
      • All trash cans in the building must be made of metal or be U.L. or F.M. approved containers.  Golden Age Assisted Living provides two trash cans in each resident’s room to meet these standards.  Please do not bring others to replace them.
      • Extension cords are deemed a fire hazard and therefore not permitted.  Power strips are usable if protecting “fragile electronics”.  
      • Rugs are a nice addition to any room; however, make sure they have the non-slip material on the bottom.  
      • Toilet Paper is provided by Golden Age Assisted Living.
      • For your own safety and in the event of an emergency, remember to maintain a clear pathway through your room free of clutter.


Q. Can I leave the facility?

A. Residents are allowed to come and go as they please. We ask that they sign in and out to help the staff ensure their safety and whereabouts.


Q. What is an ombudsman?

A. The ombudsman is a specially trained and certified volunteer who advocates for quality care in Texas nursing facilities.  

Volunteers are supervised by professional staff ombudsmen who are part of the regional aging services network supported by the Texas Department on Aging. 

An ombudsman: 

      • Provides information to residents and family about rights and procedures and helps identify additional resources in or out of the facility;
      • Investigates and resolve complaints by or on behalf of nursing home and assisted living residents, and
      • Works with residents, families, friends, and facility staff to resolve complaints and difficulties.

An ombudsman has the resources of the Texas Department on Aging and Disability Services and various other state and local regulatory agencies available to help resolve complaints and concerns.


Q. When should an ombudsman be called?

A. Residents and family should try to resolve problems and differences with the facility staff whenever possible.

When this is not possible, or when the resident or family is unsure, a local ombudsman should be called. The ombudsman volunteer or regional staff ombudsman will assess the concerns and recommend possible courses of action. Often, the ombudsman can resolve the problems without involving other groups or agencies.  Sometimes, the resident council or family support group is involved in the resolution.

When the ombudsman can’t resolve the problems, or when it involves serious abuse or neglect, the complaint is referred to the Texas Department on Aging and Disability Services or another appropriate agency.  In all situations, the complaint is handled confidentially and information is not released without approval of the resident or legal guardian.

The ombudsman program is also a good source of information about selecting a long-term care facility, eligibility criteria, residents’ rights and other services for the elderly.


Q. Who do I contact if I have a grievance?

A. When a resident or his or her family member or advocate has a complaint about any issue related to Golden Age Assisted Living, the issue should first be discussed with the appropriate department head. If the complaint remains unresolved, it should be discussed with the Assisted Living Director. If the complaint still remains unresolved, it may be presented to the board of directors. 

The procedure for making such a presentation to the board of directors is as follows:
Prepare a written complaint detailing the issue in question and mail it to the Board President, or contact any board member and request the complaint be placed on the agenda for the next board meeting.  The person registering the complaint will then be responsible for presenting the complaint at the board meeting. In order to be placed on the agenda for a board meeting, the complaint must be received by the Board President or the Executive Director of Golden Age Assisted Living no later than the Friday before the board meeting.

Working together, we should be able to resolve any situation. However, any dissatisfaction with our resolution should be directed to the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, (800) 458-9858.